Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsRoad safety upgrades for the Bellarine

Road safety upgrades for the Bellarine

The Bellarine Highway will be safer for road users thanks to safety upgrades set to take place thanks to the state and federal governments.

The $8.58 million road safety upgrade will see crews install road safety barriers across the Wallington and Moolap highway sections.

The upgrade will also include barriers in the middle of the road between Leopold and Moolap and the removal of right-turn traffic from Swan Bay Road in Wallington.

The stretch of road catered to more than 35,000 commuters, tourists and local drivers daily and serves as a key link between the Bellarine Peninsula, Geelong, and Melbourne areas.

There have been 24 recorded crashes on the sections of the highway over the past five years, which included one crash resulting in someone losing their life last year.

The project is funded through this year’s $120 million Road Safety Program from the state and federal governments, which is delivering road safety upgrades across 24 sites.

Member for Bellarine Alison Marchant said it was important to invest in safer roads along the Bellarine Highway for the public’s safety.

“This investment in safety barriers along the highway will assist in keeping our community and road users safe,” she said.

All projects in the program provide valuable data to help shape future policies and road safety for people using the nation’s roads.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...
More News

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...