Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsWork starts on Drysdale pool

Work starts on Drysdale pool

Work has kicked off on the major project to build a 50-metre outdoor pool in Drysdale.

City of Greater Geelong representatives, including deputy mayor Trent Sullivan, Victorian senator Sarah Henderson and contractors visited the site on Thursday, April 28 to turn the first sod on the $15.5 million project.

Cr Sullivan said up to 60 construction jobs would be created during the delivery of stage one of the outdoor aquatic facility at the Drysdale Sporting Precinct.

“We’re proud to have tradies on site building better facilities for our community,” he said.

“We understand the importance of construction to our local economy and we’re creating jobs for skilled labourers, sparkies, industrial plumbers, engineers and many others.”

By the time it’s completed the project will have seen 17,000 cubic metres of soil moved and retained to build the facility, 2200 cubic metres of soil excavated for the pool, more than 7000 square metres of new pavements and 32 tonnes of structural steel used to construct the buildings.

The project will also see 3369 trees and shrubs to be planted across the site and 10,000 square metres of lawn grass to be installed.

The eight-lane outdoor heated pool is funded with $10 million from the federal government and $5.5 million from the City of Greater Geelong.

The city received the planning permit, allowing work to start, this month.

Cr Sullivan said the aquatic facility was one of the council’s priority projects and would be suitable for family use, learn to swim classes, water exercise classes, and local and school swimming carnivals.

Kane Constructions was awarded the construction tender in December last year and has many staff, subcontractors and suppliers residing within the Bellarine Peninsula.

“Kane Constructions will use local subcontractors and source a large proportion of goods and services through local businesses,” Cr Sullivan said.

Bellarine Ward councillor Jim Mason said an excavator arrived on site this week to help deliver the new facility.

“It’s taken a lot of hard work and persistence to get to this point, so the start of construction is a significant milestone for the Bellarine community,” Cr Mason said.

“Council is always looking at ways to be more sustainable so the outdoor pool will utilise electricity – not gas – including a 16 kilowatt solar system that features 38 solar panels.

“The tradespeople who install the solar panels will help to reduce emissions and drive down our energy costs.”

The city is working to secure $45 million in joint funding from the Victorian and Australian governments to deliver the stage two indoor aquatic and leisure centre.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...