Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsGeelong fast trains need billions more

Geelong fast trains need billions more

Geelong fast trains will require several times as much funding as a $2 billion Federal Government pledge, according to Mayor Bruce Harwood.

With a national election looming Prime Minister Scott Morrison last month promised $2 billion for Geelong fast rail.

But if State Government matched the amount, the combined $4 billion would fall well short, Cr Harwood said.

“The whole project, no, we’re looking at 19 to 20 billion,” he told a media conference on Monday.

“We’re not saying no to any cash coming down here, it’s about making sure the project’s done in a timely manner (and) budgeted correctly.”

Geelong’s council allocated $100,000 over two years to develop a fast rail strategy.

According to council research Geelong and Ballarat fast rail would cost from $19 billion to $20 billion, Cr Harwood explained on Tuesday.

He was unable to supply costings for Geelong alone as council’s research focussed on a “regional” project, he said.

State Government last week estimated Geelong fast rail would cost between $10 billion and $15 billion.

But Cr Harwood said examining Geelong in isolation made little “economic sense”.

The research indicated 32-minute trains to Southern Cross Station were possible, he said.

But Transport Infrastructure Minister Jacinta Allan refused to confirm this as she announced a new Geelong fast rail reference group, saying government wanted the “fastest travel time possible”

“What I won’t do, which is what other political parties (tend) to do, is deceive the Geelong community about what can actually be achieved.”

Ms Allan welcomed the Commonwealth pledge but noted it came “on the eve an election”.

State Labor pledged $150 million to plan regional fast rail last year, including $100 million in last November’s election campaign.

“We’ve already started a lot of that detailed, technical planning work,” Ms Allan said.

“Unlike some who are prepared to put lines on a map and some magical numbers next to them and claim that that’s a project for Geelong.”

Both Corangamite MP Sarah Henderson and her Labor challenger Libby Coker recently committed $700 million to duplicating rail from Geelong to Waurn Ponds.

The duplication would fix bottlenecks at South Geelong and Geelong stations, which was essential for fast rail, Ms Allan said.

She accused Federal Government of being “dragged kicking and screaming” to support the duplication.

The Indy phoned and emailed Ms Henderson’s office for comment but received no response. 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...