Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsAitken, mayor funding clash

Aitken, mayor funding clash

Council’s draft budget ignores northern Geelong, according to ward councillor Anthony Aitken.

Cr Aitkin described the 2019/2020 budget on Tuesday night as “the most frustrating” in which he had been involved

“We put in 47 community budget bids, of which two were successful,” Cr Aitken said.

Mayor Bruce Harwood rejected Cr Aitken’s complaint, saying council had worked hard to achieve balance across the municipality.

“With this particular council the community is first and foremost. To hear anything different is just not true.“

A $115.6 million capital works package will be the centrepiece of the budget, which council released for public feedback this week.

The budget also includes a $250,000 master plan to “reinvigorate” the troubled Little Malop St mall and adjoining streets.

But ratepayers will fork out an extra $47.16, with a 2.5 per cent increase bringing average annual household rates to $1618.41.

With a turnover of $426 million, the proposed budget would deliver an underlying recurrent surplus of $1.2 million while supporting high levels of capital and non-capital projects, a council spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Torquay motorists could be winners in Surf Coast Shire’s budget, with a planned cash injection of $10 million for local roads.

The funding would support Torquay’s growing population, said 3228 Local Residents Association secretary Sue O’Shanassy.

“Our roads are going to get a lot more use, so the more money council allocates towards local roads the better.”

Mayor Rose Hodge referred to the budget as one of the shire’s “largest” capital works programs, with $20.3 million allocated across 51 projects.

Ratepayers face average 2.5 per cent increases to rates and waste collection charges.

The budget forecasts a surplus of about $18.9 million, $9.2 million less than last financial year.

Surf Coast Shire chief Keith Baillie said the budget was set under “significant financial challenges”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Now for the finals

More News

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...