Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMums to be in limbo

Mums to be in limbo

A Newtown couple is in limbo after missing Epworth Hospital’s maternity department closure cut-off date by days.

The hospital announced this week that it would stop taking new maternity bookings due to staff shortages and there are fears the department could close its doors altogether on March 1 next year.

Monica Arklay and husband Josh are due to have their first baby on March 9, but are likely to be induced a week early, meaning they have missed the cut-off by a day.

The announcement on Monday caught existing staff and patients by surprise.

“It’s really stressful, it feels like we have had a rug pulled out from under us,” Ms Arklay said.

“We chose Epworth for a reason and we have had an amazing experience there so far with the obstetrician at the Geelong Maternity Group. To have that taken away it’s really disappointing.”

Ms Arklay said she is now waiting for information and advice on where to have her baby.

“They are still working through what our options are,” she said.

“It’s all very unknown which adds to the stress of having to go through this.

“Geelong is a big bustling place and there are a lot of people who are trying to work out what the next steps are.

“We can’t speak more highly of the obstetrician and the group and we have faith that they will be doing their best to find options for us. We feel for the staff at Epworth.”

Barwon Health spokesperson Kate Bibby said the growing region’s two other hospitals – the public University Hospital and the private St John of God – had the capacity to cover if Epworth closed its maternity department doors.

“Barwon Health will work with Epworth Geelong to support any transition of maternity services should this process be required during or after the consultation process,” she said.

“We will continue our partnership to deliver a range of public services at Epworth including elective surgery.

“Barwon Health and St John of God Geelong will work together to ensure families are supported throughout their pregnancy and birth. We are confident there is capacity across both hospitals to provide high quality care.

“Barwon Health would welcome Epworth Geelong midwives and other staff to apply for roles at Barwon Health.”

Epworth HealthCare group chief executive Dr Lachlan Henderson said workforce shortages across the maternity healthcare industry meant it could no longer offer the service.

“Workforce shortages in nursing and midwifery are being experienced globally, and throughout Australia and our repeated, extensive efforts to recruit midwifery staff at the Epworth Geelong Maternity unit has met with limited success,” Dr Henderson said.

“A high quality service requires a minimum number of skilled and competent midwifery, nursing, allied health and specialist medical practitioners, across a 24-hour, seven day per week period.

“We have made the difficult announcement of our proposed closure. After consultation is complete, if a decision is made to close, the closure of our Epworth Geelong Maternity service is anticipated to occur on 1 March 2023.

“Everyone who works in our Epworth Geelong maternity unit has shown an amazing dedication to this service. We are incredibly proud of our midwives, specialists and maternity support staff who have provided exceptional care to families in the Geelong region since the service commenced in 2017.

“We are working with our obstetricians to contact all booked maternity patients. To assist, we have established a dedicated Epworth Geelong Maternity concierge service.”

Booked patients can call 9426 0622 from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday to discuss their individual circumstances.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...