Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyClinic has five-year ban on extensions overturned

Clinic has five-year ban on extensions overturned

By John Van Klaveren
GEELONG’S council has granted a planning permit for extensions to a medical centre despite banning extensions five years ago.
Corio Medical Clinic wants to add consulting rooms and a pharmacy while including two recently purchased properties in Georgia Gve and Cox Rd in its 4672-square-metres site.
A report to council said the clinic wanted to increase its medical practitioners from 15 to 16.
The report said the original 2005 permit had already been amended twice, with a separate permit issued for a proposed diabetes clinic.
The report said council resolved in 2007 to support the diabetes clinic proposal but would not grant further planning permits allowing expansion “beyond its current boundaries”.
The report said council wanted to see a development plan for the entire site first.
Six nearby residents objected to the proposal but the report said none of the objections could be upheld.
The report said “on balance” the proposal was an appropriate outcome for the site and surrounding community.
Ward councillor Kylie Fisher said the medical centre extension was an important step in improving health services in the north.
“There is a recognised shortfall in health services in the northern suburbs of Geelong so this extension is a welcome boost to local services.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...