Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGolf course aged care rejected

Golf course aged care rejected

By NOEL MURPHY

SURF Coast councillors have rejected controversial plans to turn part of Torquay’s The Sands into an aged-care centre.
The Handbury Group wanted to convert a Peppers hotel adjoining the estate’s golf clubhouse into a 112-room facility offering various levels of care for the frail and aged.
Residents in the plush golf-oriented resort estate were concerned the aged-care centre could affect their access to resort facilities, lower property values and lead to subdivision of the golf course.
Mayor Rose Hodge said council received 200 submissions, “a vast majority objecting” to the plans.
A council planning amendment process to ensure community consultation over the aged care proposal revealed “a number of issues”, she told the Independent.
“Council has taken note of those,” Cr Hodge said.
“We know there’s a need for aged care facilities but the developments need to happen in appropriate locations.
“The social and economic impacts of proposals to convert existing facilities also need to be closely assessed and considered along with community views.
“I’d like to thank all parties for the respectful way in which this process has been conducted.”
Sands residents spokesman Paul Martonhelyi said the objectors living in the estate were “certainly very relieved and happy” with council’s decision.
“For the benefit of Torquay and the greater Surf Coast Shire, it’s good to be able to preserve this important tourism facility for the anticipated growth in tourism we’re expecting in all the advertising and promotion by government agencies,” he said.
Residents had argued existing purpose-built facilities elsewhere in the area already catered adequately for Torquay’s aged-care demand.
They said a Great Ocean Road management plan released last year had identified the value of high-end tourism accommodation facilities such as The Sands in attracting overseas visitors.
Mr Martonheyli said Handbury had no recourse to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, effectively spelling an end to the proposal in its existing form.
The Independent was unable to contact the Handbury Group before going to press.
The aged-care plan coincided with the RACV’s redevelopment of Torquay Golf Course, which included the addition of accommodation facilities.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...