Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyKarate fighters put wedding on hold for world tournament

Karate fighters put wedding on hold for world tournament

By ALANA MITCHELSON

Bellarine Peninsula martial artist Jacob Comelli has challenged himself to take on a World Open Karate Championship in Tokyo this weekend.
Comelli has been training with top Japanese fighters Yuji and Kazufumi Shimamoto and former champion Shihan Tadashi Ishihara in Japan since deciding in January to compete at the championships.
“It was so tough but amazing to see the intensity and mindset of the number-one guys,” Comelli said.
“It’s the biggest dream for anyone in karate to be a part of the world tournament. It will be an amazing opportunity to meet other fighters from all over the world too.”
Comelli’s intense training regime for Tokyo involved six days a week of gym work, sprint sessions and body conditioning.
He was grateful for the hours of support from fight coach Tsuyoshi Murase and Bellarine Martial Arts Centre head instructor David Jacobs.
“Murase is an ex-fighter from Japan and has come fourth in the world tournament,” Comelli said.
“He has so much wisdom and knowledge about how to be in control of your spirits in the lead up and during a tournament fight.”
While Comelli’s enhanced focus on karate had come with its social challenges, he was enjoying the excitement leading up to the championships.
Comelli said he even tried juggling his schedule with organising his own wedding earlier this year.
But Comelli and fiancée Amanda Madruga, competing in the tournament’s female draw, had since decided to put the wedding on hold to stay focused on their karate, he said.
“It’s a huge draw of 164 men and it’s open weight but I feel content knowing that I’ve done the work. Some training sessions were so hard and it seems that there’s always injuries you have to work around.
“I think karate helps me be a better person. It’s something that gives me a stronger mind and I approach other challenges in everyday life with enthusiasm.”
This year Comelli also fought at an Arnold Classic in Melbourne, a Shinkyokushinkai National Championships in Sydney and a Shinkyokushin Selection Tournament at Breakwater.
Comelli also has previous experience representing Australia internationally.
Comelli said he was focusing on his first fights, against fighters from Denmark and Japan.
The championship runs from 31 October to 1 November at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

Click below to watch Jacob Comelli in action at the Mens Open Heavy Weight Final of the Shinkyokushin National Championship in Sydney, August 2015.

Mens Open Heavy Weight Final

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...