Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMum in Geelong West Tramonte murder mystery dies

Mum in Geelong West Tramonte murder mystery dies

By NOEL MURPHY

A MOTHER accused twice of killing her daughter in the unsolved 1979 Geelong West stabbing murder of 18-year-old Dorna Tramonte has died at 95.
Maria Tramonte was acquitted in October 1980 during a high-profile Melbourne court case of murdering her daughter in West Park opposite their Pineville St home.
An earlier trial in April 1980 was not completed and Mrs Tramonte maintained she had nothing to do with her daughter’s death.
The court heard Miss Tramonte had attended a birthday barbecue at a friend’s house and early in the evening phoned her mother for permission to catch a later bus home. Her mother gave permission after some argument.
Her bus arrived near her home about 9.15pm and she was stabbed three times while walking through the park toward her home.
Crown prosecutor Ian Heath told the court Dorna had arranged to meet her mother at the bus stop.
The court heard bloodstains of Dorna’s blood type were found on Mrs Tramonte’s coat and a bloodstained paper plate and foil on which Dorna had been carrying birthday cake was found at a nearby house where Mrs Tramonte said she went to while waiting for the bus.
Dorna ran into her home and her sister, Anna, drove her to hospital.
She died seconds after arrival.
Mrs Tramonte made no admissions or confessions and sobbed in the witness box: “I love my daughter. I did everything for her all my life.”
Mrs Tramonte passed away peacefully on Monday.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...