Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyKinder call on growth

Kinder call on growth

Jessica Benton
KINDER operators have called for increased services for the region’s growth areas amid high demand for three and four-year-old programs.
Growing demand has forced Bellarine Peninsula towns Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads to increase 2009 programs to ensure children can attend kindergarten.
Barwon Heads Kindergarten committee member Kristen Dillion said next year’s intake had doubled on this year.
“Usually we have about 40 students for the four-year-old programs but we’ve had 76 enrolments for next year and the three-year-old program has doubled to 40,” she said.
“Unfortunately, we’re having to offer more people half the normal services because we believe that no child should miss out on kinder.
“We could have said no to more children but, because we’ve accommodated the children, the government won’t acknowledge there’s a problem.”
Ms Dillion said the enrolments surge had forced the kinder to employ extra staff and plan building upgrades.
“We even looked at running the three-year-old program off-site but this all came with added costs.”
Surfside Kindergarten’s Sally Wilkinson said Ocean Grove needed a new kinder because the town was a designated “growth corridor”.
“Over the years the housing population has increased and more young families have moved here,” she said.
Ms Wilkinson said the looming shortage threatened to force parents into finding alternative kinders in other towns.
City of Greater Geelong family services manager Robert Were backed the calls for more facilities.
He said an increasing birth rate would put further pressure on services in the next few years.
The City would need an additional 12 kinder groups in 2010 to meet demand, he said.
“Labor promised an additional 260 children’s centres. So far I think they’ve rolled out seven, two in Victoria, and they’re both child care centres, not kindergartens.
“Another challenge is the government plan to extend hours of care to 15 per week by 2013. This could have a big impact on three-year-old programs because four-year-olds will get preference and if there’s not adequate facilities and services then some kids might miss out.”
A Department of Education and Early Childhood Development spokesperson said 325 kindergarten places were still available in “the local area” for 2009.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...