Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyHeads are held high

Heads are held high

By Luke Voogt

None of the five sacked councillors running for Geelong council next month left with a bullying cloud over their head, according to one them.
Lindsay Ellis made the declaration following his recent nomination for council elections.
“From my knowledge, none of those councillors that applied (for the election) were accused of bullying,” the 68-year-old said.
“And I think it’s important that people know that – it’s fair for the people that are recontesting.”
Mr Ellis was the last of the 13 sacked councillors to declare their candidacy after nominations closed on Tuesday.
“I decided last Friday – Friday lunchtime,” he said.
“I thought why don’t I have a crack?”
Mr Ellis said health concerns had prevented him from publically declaring at an earlier date.
“Fortunately that’s all good and things have been all fixed.”
Former Geelong mayor Darryn Lyons had hinted he was considering running but declined to nominate before the Tuesday deadline.
“I think he’s got another agenda,” Mr Ellis said.
Fellow sacked councillors John Irvine and Tony Ansett also withdrew from the municipal race despite declaring their candidacy earlier this year.
Sacked councillors Eddy Kontelj, Peter Murrihy, Bruce Harwood and Ron Nelson were among 53 residents who nominated for this year’s election.
Mr Ellis said he would run as an independent and described reports he was Labor Party aligned as “absolute rubbish”.
“I’ve never been a member of a political party and I never intend to be. I was sacked by the Labor Party, remember.”
The Portarlington resident worked in the office of Labor Bellarine MP Lisa Neville after his sacking from the council.
“I was employed by the minister for my knowledge of the Bellarine,” he said.
“My family have been on the Bellarine since 1857… you can be assured I know a bit about the place.”
Mr Ellis was unfazed by Geelong’s administrators’ recent approval of tightened media policy for councillors or State Government’s appointment of monitors to watch them.
“These measures have been put in place for a reason,” he said.
“The more transparent the councils are the better.”
The Indy was unable to reach Mr Lyons and Mr Ansett for comment.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Now for the finals

Around the grounds

More News

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...

BCH farewells ‘integral member’

A much-loved local nurse is hanging up the scrubs after nearly 30 years of service to the Bellarine community. Bellarine Community Health (BCH) footcare nurse...

Gold for Jakara

Barwon Heads star Jakara Anthony has won gold in the newest Olympic event, Women’s Dual Moguls overnight. This adds to her moguls victory from Beijing...