Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMagpies, Crows but no lame ducks at Geelong

Magpies, Crows but no lame ducks at Geelong

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

CHRIS Scott is adamant Geelong will not be a lame duck finalist should it make the top eight.
The Geelong coach said the team was “fighting and scrapping” to make the finals for a record ninth consecutive time.
“If we do make it are we going to be a walkover in the first week of the finals? That’s not my view,” Scott declared this week.
“With the percentage the way it is given Adelaide’s game against Brisbane, it appears the two points was as good as the four.”
Last Saturday’s draw with St Kilda was widely seen to be a setback for Geelong but even a win would have left the Cats – ironically – at the mercy of the Crows.
A Crows win against a safely ensconced West Coast will spell the end of the Cats, leaving the Dangerfield Cup in the last round at Simonds Stadium a dead rubber.
But first things first: Geelong needs to beat Collingwood on Friday night before embarking on the nervous wait until Sunday.
Scott agreed: “For all the possibilities our focus is on playing well on Friday night. We’ll be desperate and ready to play our best”.
The broadcast of the Crows Eagles game from Adelaide Oval will have most Geelong fans engrossed – not to mention the players and coaches.
Scott said he would watch the match the same as he would with any approaching opposition side.
“We’ll watch the game closely.
“If we don’t get the job done on Friday night it won’t matter.
“Assuming we do, we’ll put a lot of work into Adelaide and make sure we knock them over.
“If Adelaide win that game and we can’t make the finals, as professionals we’ll be doing everything we can to make sure we beat Adelaide the next week.”
The game against Collingwood will have a highlight all its own, however, when Daniel Menzel makes his long-awaited return to senior football.
Scott all but confirmed the move on Tuesday, saying Menzel was “likely”.
“We’re not in a position this early in our preparation to have certainty around our selections but, given his last fortnight in particular, he’s well and truly in the frame.
“If everything goes well he’s likely but we’re just not in a position to guarantee it, so I don’t want to get people’s hopes up.“
Menzel had a break at the weekend due to a scheduling quirk between the AFL and VFL draws but played a solid six games beforehand.
The successful return of ruckman/forward Nathan Vardy last week signalled a continuing changing of the guard, with stalwart defender Jared Rivers conceding the battle of his wounded knee.
Geelong has offered injury plagued out-of-form utility Billie Smedts another two year contract.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...