Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyOpportunity knocks twice

Opportunity knocks twice

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

It was meant to be a farewell party for the volunteers of the closing Oppe Shoppe – but turned out to be a celebration instead.
Despite weeks of preparing to close, and letting all their loyal customers know, Belmont’s long-running and much-loved Oppe Shoppe has a new lease on life.
Long-standing volunteer Maria De Amicis said everyone involved in the Belmont Baptist venture was delighted it would remain open.
“We arrived at the Friday afternoon farewell party to find the manager of Diversitat and other managers present and the pastor told us the news.
“Diversitat will take over the Oppe Shoppe, so now we have to let everyone know it’s not closing as advertised.”
Manager Di Ibbotson said the High Street op shop had been struggling recently, with a reduction in revenue from sales making the rental harder to pay.
“But Diversitat heard we were closing and the moved quickly to contact us. It was all agreed within 24 hours.
“So we want to let everyone know that we’d love them to keep coming to shop here. We’re taking donations again and most of the volunteers are staying on as well.
“In fact, we could use some more help. We’re looking for a retired electrician to volunteer half a day a week to test the donated electrical appliances before sale.”
Ms De Amicis said retired electicians willing to help and anyone with donations or keen to volunteer could phone the Oppe Shoppe on 5244 1306 or visits its premises at 5/110-120 High Street.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

A pillar of history

Mick Slocum is bringing history back to the region, following the restoration of Geelong’s last remaining Victorian-era pillar box, with plans for Portarlington. ...
More News

Boy charged over Little Malop Street stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have charged a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street on Thursday. The 16-year-old has been charged with...

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...