Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCity loses demand for cash. Space war win

City loses demand for cash. Space war win

Andrew Mathieson
A developer has won a legal battle against City Hall’s demand for cash to create open space offsetting a residential project opposite Kardinia Park.
City of Greater Geelong is “taking advice” to retrieve its projected lost charges after Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal ruled against its open-space levy as a condition of a planning permit.
Villawood Homes appealed to the VCAT following council’s demand for a fee on the company’s proposed subdivision along Latrobe Terrace.
City Hall demanded a public open-space contribution of five per cent of the value of 432-440 Latrobe Terrace and its existing 22 dwellings
Tribunal member Michael Read dismissed council’s claim the subdivision would lead to more demand for open space in the area.
He pointed out that the site was across the road from Kardinia Park, which includes two ovals, netball courts, a public swimming pool, parkland and Skilled Stadium.
The levy would have cost Villawood Homes up to $70,000.
Council planning portfolio-holder Rod Macdonald said the City’s legal representatives were considering all options for squeezing cash out of Villawood.
“We’re taking advice on it at this stage,” he said.
“However, my understanding is that we won’t be appealing (the decision). The only appeal we can have is on a point of law.”
Cr Macdonald was not worried the decision could set a precedent.
“We need to make sure the community is covered for all developments that we believe are relevant,” he said.
“The whole community misses out if something like this doesn’t go ahead.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...