Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTavern project off to tribunal

Tavern project off to tribunal

By MICHELLE HERBISON

PLANS to refurbish Queenscliff’s Victoria Tavern and add eight apartments to the site are headed to a tribunal after council failed to make a decision on the proponent’s planning permit application.
MRTN Architects’ Antony Martin said 17 objections to the application for 10-18 Hesse St meant a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) hearing would have been likely even if council had supported the project.
Project manager David Knight thought council might have shied away from the issue due to politics.
“It’s a very small election base and they don’t want to upset too many people. The planning people at council are supportive of the scheme but, whether it’s too sensitive for them to make a determination, none of us know.”
Mr Martin said the “high end” development would include restoring the tavern’s facade to its original condition.
Borough of Queenscliffe spokesperson Erica Naughtin said council was unable to make a determination due to “the complexity of the development” and because the councillors were in pre-election caretaker mode when the application was tabled last year.
Objections labelled the proposal an “over-development” of the site that would create access, parking and amenity issues.
Queenscliff Community Association secretary Christine Johnson wrote that the development would “have a detrimental impact on the character of the area and the permanent population”.
Heritage architecture reports showed the plans complied with regulations but proving the proposal was within restrictions including height and density was “achievable but needs a lot of work”, Mr Knight said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...