Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBay net ban blasted as "nonsense"

Bay net ban blasted as “nonsense”

State Government has come under further fire for banning commercial net fishing in Port Phillip Bay.
The move was “blatantly political” and “nonsense”, Melbourne Seafood Centre chairman Andrew McLaughlin said.
The Independent report last week the government introduced legislation to end commercial net fishing in Port Phillip Bay by 2022 and in Corio Bay by April 2018.
The announcement was welcomed by recreational fishing bodies claiming commercial fishing had decimated fish stocks.
But Mr McLaughlin said studies showed it was recreational anglers who took more from the bays than commercial operators.
“This legislation has only ever been about securing votes from elite recreational anglers and has been tabled in parliament without considering the broader ramifications and the impact on all Victorians,” he said.
“The government’s suggestion that this will increase catch rates and the size of fish for recreational anglers in Port Phillip Bay is not supported by any facts.
“Rather, Australian Conservation Foundation research shows that commercial fishing in the bay is sustainable in terms of both fish stocks and marine habitat.
“Recreational anglers already take six times more snapper from Port Phillip Bay than commercial fishers and twice as much whiting according to recent studies.
“If the number of recreational anglers were to increase significantly, as the government hopes, this would put even more pressure on fish stocks.”
Mr McLaughlin said the ramifications of the legislation would be felt throughout Victoria and many small businesses would be affected – not just the 43 intergenerational family fishing businesses that would be shut down.
“Seafood wholesalers and retailers, restaurants, hotels and your local fish and chip shop are all impacted,” he said.
“The government should support these small businesses.
“As a result of this legislation the 87 per cent of Victorians who do not fish recreationally will no longer be able to buy fresh, local and affordable seafood.
“Instead they will be forced to purchase more seafood from international fisheries where we cannot be assured of acceptable environmental or social standards – and the price of seafood in Victoria will increase dramatically.
“Once the ban is in place iconic Port Phillip Bay species such as King George whiting, rock flathead, garfish and calamari will no longer be available fresh from the bay.
“The science shows that commercial fishermen can coexist with recreational anglers in Port Phillip Bay as they have for 170 years,” Mr McLaughlin said.
“The Andrews Labor Government is spending $27 million of public money to deny Victorians a resource they have had access to for more than a century.
“Ultimately, it is Victorian consumers who will pay the price for this ill-considered legislation.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Around the grounds

More News

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...

BCH farewells ‘integral member’

A much-loved local nurse is hanging up the scrubs after nearly 30 years of service to the Bellarine community. Bellarine Community Health (BCH) footcare nurse...

Gold for Jakara

Barwon Heads star Jakara Anthony has won gold in the newest Olympic event, Women’s Dual Moguls overnight. This adds to her moguls victory from Beijing...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong An afternoon of alpine music featuring "Alpen Musikanten". Sunday 22 February 12pm to 5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available...