Violent Queenscliff brawlers injure police

TROUBLE BREWING: CCTV footage shows two police officers leading a man from a Queenscliff bar.

Police used capsicum spray to subdue brawlers who allegedly assaulted officers during a fight at Queenscliff on Saturday night.

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives charged two Queenscliff men after the incident, which left six officers injured.

Police responded to a request to move some patrons on from the Brewhouse on Gellibrand Street just before 10pm.

While two police officers were escorting a man from the premises, two other men allegedly assaulted them.

Police arrested six men after using OC spray. A seventh man handed himself into Geelong Police Station a short time later and was also arrested.

Police charged a 21-year-old Queenscliff man with two counts of assaulting police and two counts of recklessly causing injury.

They charged a second 21-year-old from Queenscliff with assaulting police, resisting police, intentionally causing injury and recklessly causing injury.

They have both been bailed to appear at Geelong Magistrates’ Court on 5 October.

Police released the other five men pending further enquiries.

Six police officers sustained injuries during the incident, with three requiring hospital treatment.

One officer was injured seriously enough to require at least a week off work, Acting Senior Sergeant Michael Graham told a press conference.

“Our officers don’t come to work expecting to be assaulted,” he said.

“Police are doing their job to let everyone have a safe night out.”

Snr Sgt Graham warned getting involved in a violent brawl could result in a two-year ban from any licenced venue.

The other three officers sustained minor injuries and received treatment at the scene of the incident.

The investigation continued this week as police spoke to witnesses.

They urged anyone with information to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit


Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.