Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndySupport flows for Swans star

Support flows for Swans star

By NOEL MURPHY

A groundswell of support has enveloped South Barwon footballer Casey Tutungi after he sustained serious spinal injuries in a clash against St Joseph’s last weekend.
The 27-year-old Swans co-coach, whose partner Bridget is pregnant with their first child, is in intensive care at the Austin Hospital with damage to his spinal cord and two vertebrae after colliding head-first with an opponent’s stomach.
South Barwon football manager Bill McCann described him as “just one of those bloody genuine nice guys”.
“There’s an overwhelming amount of support for this much-loved, much-respected person from the club members, the outside community, St Joey’s, from the Lorne footy club, AFL – a whole host of people.”
Tutungi’s co-coach, James McGarvey, said the club was working to coordinate the extraordinary outpouring of support.
“We’re trying to get together to work out the best way to deliver that support. There’s nothing actually in place just yet … it’s a matter of channelling that energy and formulating the best plan, the best way, to extend that support.”
Doctors are waiting for swelling and inflammation to subside before they can fully assess Tutungi’s injuries.
He has undergone surgery and his spine has been stabilised but a family statement said “the real damage” was to his spinal cord functions, which control body movement.
McCann said assessing the impact on Tutungi’s teammates was difficult.
“We’re trying to produce a paper over the next couple of days that we’ll make available for all people requiring counselling. It’s a very difficult thing to assess with players, what traits will come out in a person under adversity.
“We don’t know what’s going to happen but they’ve played a lot of footy and had a lot of success but they’re still young.”
McCann said the club had a team “bonding session” after training this week.
Tutungi’s family thanked the public for its offers of help.
“But at this stage your love and prayers are all we can ask for,” the family said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...