Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyKinder food program defends snacks rules

Kinder food program defends snacks rules

Hamish Heard
Organisers of a controversial new healthy eating program in local kindergartens have hit back at claims some children could go hungry under the scheme.
Dental Health Services Victoria’s Fiona Preston said Smiles4Miles had “no intention” of leaving children short of food at kindergartens.
The Independent last week reported parental fury at the pilot Smiles4Miles program in 36 schools throughout Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula.
An angry parent said many parents felt the program stripped parents of their right to decide what to feed their children. She feared children could go hungry if kindergarten staff confiscated foods banned under the program.
But Ms Preston denied the program stripped parents of their rights.
“There is no intention to see children go hungry as a result of the program’s intervention,” Ms Preston said.
“Rather, by providing information to parents, the program will help them to understand why healthy snacks are important and which snacks are supportive of good health.
“It will also encourage parents to provide healthy snacks for their children and support the health-related messages being taught through the curriculum.”
Fifty-seven per cent of five-year-olds suffered oral disease, while 23 per cent of preschool children were overweight or obese.
Corio West Kindergarten teach Bronwen Malpas also rejected claims in last week’s Independent that unhealthy food was being confiscated from children.
“We do not confiscate food, any inappropriate snack is sent home,” Ms Malpas said.
“We observe what children are eating and encourage them to eat healthy foods and ask them to take any unhealthy food home with them.”
Ms Malpas said children at the kindergarten also enjoyed once-a-term “special days” when they were allowed to eat ice cream and “party foods”.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...