Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCouncillor fined again for driving

Councillor fined again for driving

By MICHELLE HERBISON

A SURF Coast councillor has faced court for a second time on a charge of driving with a suspended licence.
Cr David Bell, of Wood Rd, Bellbrae, pleaded guilty and received a fine without conviction in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.
Cr Bell told the Independent after the hearing that the magistrate had not suspended his licence again.
“I’m glad the regrettable incident is behind me and I look forward to serving the community. My licence was not touched and I can still drive.”
Cr Bell in February received a $500 fine without conviction and a two-month licence suspension in Geelong Magistrates’ Court after police caught him driving while suspended due to demerit points.
Leading Senior Constable Chris Burgess charged Bell with the second offence at Torquay less than a week later on 19 February, according to the Melbourne court.
A Department of Planning and Community Development spokesperson said the incident would not affect Cr Bell’s role as a councillor.
“Section 29 (2) (b) of the Local Government Act 1989 reads that a person can’t be a councillor if that person has been convicted of an offence committed when he or she was of or over 18 years of age which is punishable upon first conviction for a term of imprisonment of five years or more,” the spokesperson said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...