Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCandidate slams Macdonald over NBN plan claims

Candidate slams Macdonald over NBN plan claims

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

 

GEELONG councillor Rod Macdonald’s criticism of the coalition’s NBN plan as “massive short-sightedness” has angered Liberal candidate Sarah Henderson.
Cr Rod Macdonald said the coalition plan for a fibre-to-the node system instead of extending cable to homes and businesses was a 20th Century solution in the 21st Century.
“Fibre to the node is a totally unacceptable decision, it’s a travesty, and it can’t happen. It’s a huge mistake even thinking about fibre to the node,” he said.
“Such a system would last five years at the most. It’s so limited it wouldn’t work and they’d have to start all over again.”
Cr Macdonald said Geelong suburbs sheduled for NBN roll outs would still receive fibre to the premises even under a change of federal government.
Cr Macdonald said contracts under a 2016 roll-out schedule, to be announced soon, would also be honoured.
The Independent reported two weeks ago that 174 homes at Armstrong Creek were connected to the NBN, with construction to connect 12,000 premises across 18 suburbs starting in June.
Ms Henderson said councillors should advocate for all Geelong to receive an NBN connection instead of supporting a digital divide.
She had “profound concerns” the roll-out divided Geelong in half.
“I’m disappointed about Cr Macdonald’s remarks. He’s not advocating for all of Geelong to receive the NBN.
“I’d like to see council call on NBN Co to stop the divide because it’s damaging to the local economy.
“The coalition is delivering to all Australians. We’re not discriminating against Geelong’s southern suburbs and 90,000 people in Corangamite.
“We don’t know when the other half of Geelong will receive the NBN under the current roll-out. It could be three years, it could be five years or it could be more. Under our system everyone will receive fast broadband by 2016.”
Ms Henderson said the Coalition plan would still deliver fibre to 20 per cent of premises and cover areas of need, such as mobile phone black spots.
Opposition leader Tony Abbott told a Geelong forum last week that the coalition’s NBN would be cheaper and quicker to build without restricting internet access.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...