Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBells’ chair quits

Bells’ chair quits

By CHERIE DONNELLAN

THE chairman of a council-endorsed Bells Beach advisory group has resigned, claiming Surf Coast Shire failed to take the committee seriously.
Bells Beach Community Advisory Committee’s Andrew Cherubin’s resignation email to council, which the Independent obtained, said his decision to quit was “not taken… lightly”.
He believed the committee was “effectually defunct” because the shire failed to consult it when completing a master plan for the famous surf break.
Mr Cherubin said council had abandoned its promise to review the committee’s decision-making powers, allowing it only to implement the master plan.
The inability to influence the plan was “a significant restriction”, he said.
Community members have fought the shire’s master plan process for several years under the previous council, fearing changes to parking, infrastructure and viewing facilities would turn Bells into a “theme park”.
The plan was intended to include schemes to repair drainage, sewerage and erosion issues.
Mr Cherubin said the new council cancelled meetings with the committee to discuss Bells’ future.
“The constant postponement of cancelling of scheduled BBCAC meetings by council has severely limited the committee’s input to council on matters relating to Bells Beach,” he said.
The shire also failed to host discussions to resolve objections to parts of the “flawed” master plan, Mr Cherubin said.
“It is my position that this lack of meeting has resulted in no significant positive outcomes from the committee’s efforts.”
The Independent reported in February the shire had adopted its predecessor’s hiatus on working with community advisory groups, which had stalled communication on various issues and left them in limbo.
Mr Cherubin said he met Mayor Libby Coker, shire sustainable communities director Dennis Barker and other officers in February to discuss the Bells “visioning process”.
He was under the expectation council would reinstate the committee and outline its responsibilities “within two weeks of that meeting”.
But the shire had failed to make contact with him since the meeting, he said.
Cr Coker said she was unable to respond before the paper went to press on Wednesday.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...