Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBells could be last event for Fanning in 'personal year'

Bells could be last event for Fanning in ‘personal year’

Easter’s Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach could be the last event of Mick Fanning’s professional career, at least this year.
The top surfer in the stable of the Torquay-based company has announced he will take 2016 as a “personal year”, nominating Bells as the last contest on his schedule.
The three-time world champion would “take time off from full-time competition” after an eventful 2015 that included a dramatic shark attack at Jeffereys Bay, in South Africa, and the death of his brother.
Fanning was surfing in Hawaii for the world title in the last event of the year when he learned Peter had died. Fanning surfed again at Pipeline after learning of the tragedy but failed to win the event and finished runner-up in the title race.
“Last year was definitely intense: what happened at J-Bay, being in a title race and the unfortunate passing of my brother,” Fanning said.
“There was so much build up with everything happening. I got to a point at the end of the year where I felt empty. I didn’t feel like I had much to give back.”
“This year, I’m going to take some time off and have a bit of a personal year.
“Just to regroup and re-stoke the fire. At this stage, I’m going to compete at Snapper and I’m going to compete at Bells and then I’m going to take some time off from there.
“They (Snapper and Bells) are two events that I love and I’d go crazy if I were sitting at home and couldn’t go surf Snapper. Bells is like a second home as well. From then on, I feel like I have to take some time away from the tour to get out of that sort of zone to see where my head is at.”
Fanning said he decided to step back from competition after “lengthy discussion with family, friends, sponsors and the WSL”.
The 15-year world tour veteran has a record of 21 event wins to go with his three world titles.
The World Surf League paid tribute to Fanning.
“Mick Fanning is one of the most committed and inspiring figures our sport has been fortunate enough to have,” said commissioner Kieren Perrow.
“He’s been up front and open about his feelings following the 2015 season and the commissioner’s office wholeheartedly supports him taking time for himself this year. We look forward to seeing him at the opening event on the Gold Coast and at select events throughout the year.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...