Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyHospital’s cuts ‘worry ambos’

Hospital’s cuts ‘worry ambos’

PARAMEDICS have voiced “serious concern” about federal funding cuts forcing 24 bed closures forced on Geelong Hospital.
Ambulance Victoria’s regional manager for Barwon South West, Mick Cameron, told the Independent the service would be monitoring the impact of the closures “very closely”.
“Any delays, including bed closures, which affect our capacity to serve the community are a serious concern,” he said.
Mr Cameron warned that limiting access to hospital beds could affect patient flow through emergency departments.
“Timetaken to transfer patients to beds at hospitals can impact on our ability to leave the hospital and therefore respond to triple zero calls.”
Paramedics’ concerns echoed the fears of Ambulance Victoria for services state-wide.
The cuts have also forced the closure of Colac Hospital’s emergency department at night.
Geelong Mayor Keith Fagg issued a plea in last week’s Independent for warring MPs to work together to solve the funding crisis.
Under Federal Government cuts based on controversial population growth figures, Barwon Health has lost $4.9 million from its current budget.
The region’s two federal Labor MPs have insisted State Liberal government is to blame, claiming it cut $616 million from health funding over two years.
Local state Liberals say all health agencies agree with them that federal Labor is responsible.
The MPs said they were happy to meet, as suggested by Cr Fagg, but none were prepared to concede blame or cross party lines to argue Geelong’s case.
With 24 beds to close, elective surgery waiting times to blow out 100 per cent, a recruitment freeze and possible job losses at Geelong Hospital, the paramedic threat raises the political ante even further.
But ambulance officers insisted they would strive to reduce the fallout as much as possible.
“We’re aware that these closures and the closures at other hospitals may impact their ability to move patients through quickly,” Mr Cameron said.
“We have recently increased our capability to refer patients who don’t require an ambulance to alternative community health services and this will assist in reducing unnecessary transports to emergency departments.
“Whenever we become aware of lengthening transfer times we’re in contact with Barwon Health to quickly find a solution. When required, ambulance managers will attend the hospital and work with hospital staff to make paramedics available for other triple zero calls as soon as possible.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...