Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGrowing threat raising fire risk

Growing threat raising fire risk

By NOEL MURPHY

STRONG fuel growth and difficulties with controlled burns are increasing the region’s summer fire risk, authorities have warned.
CFA’s Ian Beswicke said recent strong winds had restricted controlled burns to reduce fuel loads in risk areas across the region.
“We’ve had a few controlled burns that have got away on us,” he said.
“You wouldn’t think that would happen at this time of year, that they’d get away due to the wind.”
Mr Beswicke said the risk factor facing the region was now high.
He pointed to News South Wales as a warning.
“There’s a big risk – you’ve only got to look at New South Wales’ early fire season.
“We’ve had a lot of rain and a lot of growth. There’s a lot of grass out there and with a couple of hot days and a bit of wind, which can really dry it out, you can hav a fast-moving, potentially damaging grassfire.”
The CFA warned last month that forests could be more flammable than usual due to last summer’s extreme dryness and heat.
Mr Beswicke cautioned property-owners against keeping flammable items close to homess and urged them to begin clearing sites now.
“Maintaining low fuel 10 to 20 metres around your house means you’re in a better position to survive but with trees right up the house the chance of survival is very low,” he said.
“The more you do to reduce the fuel the better. Don’t store firewood beside the house – even the front-door mat is a potential threat if embers land there.
“Trigger points might seem only little things but they can make such a big difference.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...