Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPopular gym’s closure shock

Popular gym’s closure shock

By PAUL MILLAR

A POPULAR health club in the heart of the city has been forced to shut down after the landlord locked the doors, claiming the tenants owed thousands of dollars in rent.
Stunned members became aware of the problem when they arrived at the impressive Corio Street facility, confronting a sign saying “closed until further notice”.
“I sincerely regret to advise that, due to financial difficulties, the gym is closed until further notice,” a poster told members on behalf of the club chief executive Robyn Reimers.
She said on her Facebook page that the owners had taken over the premises on Monday night.
“I just want to say how deeply sorry I am for what has happened at the gym tonight,” she said.
“We fell behind on last month with rent, and we’re working to rectify it.”
A notice on the window of the gym said that Club Exec was “in breach of the lease in failing to pay rent, outgoings, GST and legal costs totalling $13,699.38”.
The club, according to the notice, had been given two weeks to make good the arrears. That deadline was Monday.
“Take notice that we require Club Exec Pty Ltd to quit possession and deliver up the premises forthwith on 21 September,” said the notification, on behalf of the managing agent.
Ms Reimers, who is also listed as the club managing director, said: “I will hit the cancel button on the memberships that are direct debited, and I will be available to chat to anyone who wants to contact me.
“I will endeavour to do whatever I can to ensure money goes back to clients.
“I deeply apologise, and do not know what else to say,” she said.
.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

More News

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...