Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyWorker cottage could be ‘history’

Worker cottage could be ‘history’

By John Van Klaveren
A DEMOLITION order on one of Geelong’s oldest buildings has been suspended pending a Heritage Victoria report.
Businessman Ron Stephens applied to demolish the Mercer Plc working-man’s cottage for a car park.
Council applied for a suspension of the demolition after Geelong National Trust planning officer Jennifer Bantow flagged the property’s historic significance.
Ms Bantow said the cottage first appeared on an 1854 map of Geelong but lacked heritage overlay protection.
“It’s a miracle the place has survived from that period without a heritage overlay.
“It’s a working man’s house from the early part of Geelong’s settlement when Mercer St was a busy commercial entrance to the town.
“It dates from the pre-gold rush era and anything from that period is so rare and amazing.
Ms Bantow said the cottage had so far escaped redevelopment because it was tucked away.
“It’s the only little brick house in Mercer Plc.
“The cottage is no longer in pristine original condition but, apart from its architectural significance, there are many other important reasons for preserving it.
“Its history hasn’t been looked at closely, so we need a stay of execution so the place can be researched.
Ms Bantow said seeking an interim preservation order from Planning Minister Matthew Guy was the only option to save the cottage.
“It’s not likely to get onto the Heritage Victoria listing or be of state interest but it should certainly be within the local heritage overlay.”
A Department of Planning and Community Development spokesperson said council’s bid for a stay of demolition was under consideration.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...