Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyalleged assault leads to claim against cops

alleged assault leads to claim against cops

Karen Hart
A JEWISH man who claims he was assaulted and racially vilified at the hands of Ocean Grove footballers has lodged a complaint against police at the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Menachem Vorchheimer, 33, of St Kilda East, suffered head injuries after he was allegedly bashed in front of his children, aged six and three, while on his way home in October.
Mr Vorchheimer said he lodged the complaint against Victoria Police because an off-duty officer had “authorised and assisted” the racial vilification against him.
“It was the behaviour that (the officer) encouraged…that incited the theft of my Shabbat hat and yumulka and incited the subsequent physical assault that left me with significant injury that required medical attention and which has left me physically and emotionally scarred,” Mr Vorchheimer said in his complaint.
The off-duty police officer was driving the busload of footballers at the time of the incident, he said.
Mr Vorchheimer said he confronted the players about racist comments directed at him and his children as they walked along Balaclava Road wearing traditional Jewish clothing.
Players allegedly yelled “f… off Jews” and “go the Nazis” before directing a machine gun-like motion at Mr Vorchheimer and his children.
Police expect to lay charges over the incident.
“It is a case of necessity to assert society’s values of what is right and wrong,” Mr Vorchheimer said.
“The case extends beyond the footballers to the role of police, be they on-duty or off-duty and their responsibility as officers charged with upholding laws and values of our society to conduct themselves at all times in the highest moral and social regard.
“We’ve been advised that the EOC is investigating this complaint and that the commission has made contact with Victoria Police and asked them to respond.
“Victoria Police have sought an extension until February 15 for the commission to respond.”

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...