Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCommuter blitz on the horizon

Commuter blitz on the horizon

By John Van Klaveren

Police will be scanning the Geelong’s major commuter roads for the next three weeks as part of Operation Horizon.
The blitz during the drive to and from work started today and is aimed at reducing peak hour accidents.
The Geelong Ring Road and Princes Freeway will be targeted, along with major metropolitan freeways, to boost safety for daily commuters.
Acting Superintendent David Griffin said heavy volumes of traffic on major arterial roads, combined with impatience, sometimes led to drivers taking unnecessary and unacceptable risks.
“During the peak hour rush, people are often in a hurry, creating unnecessary stress and a sense of panic that causes errors in judgement,” he said.
“We’ve had a horrendous start to the year and the last thing we need is more tragedy on our roads, particularly leading into the Easter and ANZAC Day periods, which are critical periods for the community in terms of road trauma risk.
“During Operation Horizon, people can expect to see a strong police presence on our roads.
“We know that peak hours are high risk periods when many crashes occur.
“People who have not planned their journey properly, or who are running late for work can become impatient and are more inclined to take shortcuts, or engage in risky behaviour to try to make it to their destination on time.
“Tailgating and using technology while driving are also common offences we see during these times.
“We are asking people to take a deep breath, slow down and ensure they arrive at their destination safely.
“Running late for work or being in a hurry to get home is no excuse for doing the wrong thing.”
Operation Horizon will run until 11 April.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...