Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyWoman, Barwon Health in surgery ‘standoff’: Dispute on bill ‘left me like...

Woman, Barwon Health in surgery ‘standoff’: Dispute on bill ‘left me like a freak’

BRENDA Hoad feels like a sideshow “freak” after Barwon Health pulled her off a post-cancer surgery waiting list over a payment standoff.
Mrs Hoad, 56, of Hamlyn Heights, said she suffered constant headaches, seeping fluid and blood running over her face as she waited for a third operation to complete reconstruction of her nose.
But she and Barwon Health are at loggerheads over payment for previous surgery and an upfront charge for the next round of work on her nose.
As a US citizen, Mrs Hoad is ineligible for Medicare. She owes around $6000 for surgery to date and had been told to pay $3500 in advance for her next operation or it won’t go ahead.
In the meantime, she said, the top of her head was numb, her glasses won’t sit on her nose and the way she held her head to see was affecting her neck and shoulders.
Initial surgery had left a gaping skin flap across the middle of her face.
Mrs Hoad said she felt “like a freak from a sideshow’’.
“I don’t like to go out anywhere if I don’t have to because it’s hard to drive. I still have seeping fluid and sometimes blood running into my eyes and down my face.”
Mrs Hoad wanted Barwon Health to extend a payment plan for the further operation she needed.
“I’ve screamed and hollered ‘Are you going to let me run around like a freak for the rest of my life?’,” she said.
Barwon Health said Mrs Hoad had rejected numerous approaches by phone, mail and email to discuss a payment plan.
“Mrs Hoad has refused our attempts to accommodate her situation,” a spokesperson said.
“While we sympathise with Mrs Hoad, we have provided her with payment options and payment extensions which she has not taken up.
“This leaves us with no choice but to cancel her surgery. All surgery needed to attend to her acute medical needs has been completed and the remaining surgery is aesthetic.”
Barwon Health said it provided care to patients with Medicare or private health coverage and to others willing to pay up front.
“Given current constraints on funding, Barwon Health is not in a position to divert care for eligible patients.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Around the grounds

More News

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...