Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGeelong Star returns to Corio Bay after latest killing

Geelong Star returns to Corio Bay after latest killing

Noel Murphy

THE CONTROVERSIAL trawler Geelong Star has returned to Corio Bay after its latest dolphin killing has infuriated animal lovers and environmentalists.
The 95-metre ship suspended fishing of its own volition in May after it killed eight dolphins on its first two outing in Australian waters.
The boat returned to fishing off Tasmania earlier this month after assuming additional protective measures but hit a barrage of anger with the latest dolphin fatality last Thursday in waters off New South Wales.
The boat had been equipped with a new mesh grid to help prevent further seal and dolphin deaths but the latest death occurred when a dolphin tried to enter the trawl by way of a marine mammal excluder mechanism on top of the trawl net.
Small Pelagic Fishery Industry Association (SPFIA) chairman Grahame Turk told the ABC the Geelong Star was required to keep the marine mammal excluder device as a condition of its vessel management plan.
“The operators believe this device is redundant now the barrier net has proved to be effective, and, represents a hazard for marine mammals,” Mr Turk said.
The Geelong Star offloads hundreds of tonnes of its frozen catch at Geelong. It is presently docked at Corio Quay, North Shore.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...
More News

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...