Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPush for sex attack court reform

Push for sex attack court reform

By Mandy Oakham

The campaign for justice for Geelong victims of sexual assault took a step forward this week.
The week saw saturation media coverage of the case of a 14-year-old girl allegedly raped by three men at St Albans in November 2015.
Charges against the three were withdrawn last month with the victim being too traumatised to appear in court.
Services to help such victims will be extended in the next couple of months and organisations such as Barwon Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) will be stepping up their campaign demanding reforms to the criminal justice system.
One of the first areas to see improvement locally will be the staffing levels at Barwon CASA headquarters in Spring Street, Geelong West.
There are currently around 100 staff based at the headquarters combining the expertise of counsellors, police, doctors and specially trained child protection officers from the Department of Human Services.
Barwon CASA chief executive officer Helen Bolton said that the community was “bewildered and confused” when high profile cases like the St Albans case do not proceed.
“Here at CASA we want to just wrap our arms around victims when they come to us and we will be stepping up our campaign to help,” Helen said.
There are two things that the CASA campaign will focus on, the first being to provide a full roster of properly qualified doctors to provide a full forensic examination of those wanting to report an assault.
In the past two years Barwon CASA has overseen 65 crisis case examinations and only 29 of those were conducted in Geelong.
The second major objective of the campaign will be to provide a remote facility to allow victims to give evidence away from the courtroom and their attackers.
In Geelong there is a facility but it is located within the Geelong Courts precinct therefore victims have to sit in the open foyer of the courts before being called.
“Just walking into those Geelong courts can be extremely traumatising for victims even before they face the pressure of the legal system during a trial,” Helen said.
“In our current system, the only way that perpetrators are held accountable to face court hinges on the victim’s evidence.
“Therefore we have an obligation to provide every support to victims to enable this to occur safely.
“These people need to be assured that there is a safe place for them to go and report their cases.
“There is no compulsion for these people to proceed with legal cases if they don’t feel able to but we want to ensure that if they do decide to proceed that they are going to have all the help possible available to them locally.”
Anyone who has experienced sexual assault can call Barwon CASA on 5222 4318.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

Out and about

More News

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...