Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyFerry back in three-year deal

Ferry back in three-year deal

By Luke Voogt

The Portarlington Ferry will continue for at least three years after a deal between the State Government and Port Phillip Ferries.
Bellarine Ferry Group’s John Rae was thrilled following Monday morning’s announcement the ferry would run every day for the next three years.
“We’re just over the moon,” he said. “It’s an exciting day for Portarlington.”
The service resumed Tuesday with a 5.15am ferry from Docklands to Portarlington, followed by a 7am return trip.
Port Phillip Ferries will run three services each day, with two during peak-hour times on weekdays.
More than 400 people lined the docks at Portarlington for 20 minute celebratory cruise around the Port Phillip Bay Monday morning.
“We had too many to take today when the ferry came in and had about 100 sitting on the docks,” Mr Rae said.
The longtime campaigner described the announcement as a win for public transport on the Bellarine.
“This is the only direct form of transport that is available for the Bellarine to Melbourne’s CBD,” he said.
Mr Rae said the announcement had come at the perfect time: at the start of the tourism season.
“This town’s population swells by 22,000 over the holiday season. From the other end of town the operation will focus on tourism and bringing people to Bellarine.”
The ferry could cause an “explosion” of new tourism businesses on the Bellarine, Mr Rae said.
“I’ve already had one inquiry from a gentleman who wants to operate the blue pedal bikes they have in Melbourne – except motorised.”
Bellarine MP Lisa Neville attended the event with Port Phillip Ferries operations director Murray Rance.
“Everything she talked to us about she’s delivered on, which has been just fabulous,” Mr Rae said.
Ms Neville said the State Government was working to raise speed limits on the Yarra – which could slash the ferry’s journey by 15 minutes.
“During the busy summer months when tourism swells across the Bellarine, this will be a great way to commute to the city,” she said.
Port Phillip Ferries owner Paul Little said the service would open the bay to Bellarine commuters, and tourists from Melbourne and abroad.
“We hope to extend the service to other regions of our bay once services for Portarlington are established.”
The government expects to complete its $15 million Portarlington Safe Harbour in early 2017.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...