Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTAFE rescue 'cruel hoax'

TAFE rescue ‘cruel hoax’

The Andrews Government has slashed funding for Victorian TAFEs including Geelong’s The Gordon, according to the state opposition.
Shadow training and skills minister Steph Ryan tabled the institute’s 2015 annual report last week, saying it showed $33.1 million in cuts to student subsidies.
“Daniel Andrews’ promise to rescue TAFE was a cruel hoax,” she said.
South Barwon MP Andrew Katos criticised the Government’s TAFE commitments.
“Geelong students deserve better than Daniel Andrews’ savage cuts to The Gordon,” Mr Katos said.
The report showed a reduction in contestable funding for The Gordon from $57.5 million in 2014 to $24.3 million in 2015.
However, Training and Skills Minister Steve Herbert said the “cuts” were due to third parties cancelling training worth $30 million.
Mr Herbert said the third parties “didn’t meet the institute’s high standards”.
“These contracts were inappropriately approved under the Liberals and cancelled under Labor.”
Mr Herbert said his Government had invested an additional $16.3 million to help The Gordon recover from the previous government’s “harsh cuts”.
“It beggars belief that the Coalition has so quickly forgotten the devastation they caused through their TAFE cuts and mismanagement of the training system.”
Ms Ryan said the reduction in contestable funding had caused The Gordon’s student numbers to decline from 19,478 in 2014 to 14,749 in 2015.
However, Mr Herbert said the now-cancelled contracts had artificially inflated numbers.
The Gordon chief executive officer Lisa Line said the institute was in a strong capital position to provide a “solid platform for future growth”.
In October The Gordon received $6 million under the Victorian Government’s TAFE Back to Work Fund and $1 million to establish a Skills and Jobs Centre.
The institute recently received $5.13 million in Community Service funding which is part of the Labor Government’s $320 million TAFE Rescue Fund.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Man under police guard after hospital death

A man has died at a Geelong hospital, with Homicide Squad detectives investigating the incident. Emergency services were called to a hospital...

One round to go

A pillar of history

More News

Olivia to don green and gold again

A Highton teenager will represent Australia at DTB Pokal 26 in Stuttgart, Germany, from 19 to 22 March as part of the Australian Women’s...

A pillar of history

Mick Slocum is bringing history back to the region, following the restoration of Geelong’s last remaining Victorian-era pillar box, with plans for Portarlington. ...

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...

Boy charged over Little Malop Street stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have charged a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street on Thursday. The 16-year-old has been charged with...

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...