Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCollections unviable: Councillor dashes hard-rubbish hopes

Collections unviable: Councillor dashes hard-rubbish hopes

HARD rubbish collections would be a “financially unviable” failure in dealing with illegal dumping, according to a Geelong councillor.
Environment and sustainability portfolio holder Andy Richards said a “full-blown” collection across the municipality would cost “several million dollars” but residents would still continue dumping rubbish.
Cr Richards said cleaning up illegal dumps would be “more financially viable”.
Council had already spent $350,000 this financial year cleaning up dumped household goods, he revealed.
Cr Richards said Victorian councils providing hard rubbish collection services still had issues with illegal dumping.
“High tip fees” from a State Government landfill levy and “people’s laziness” were responsible for the dumping, he said.
“The State Government shows no signs of reducing the landfill levy on tips fees and it’s currently half of what you pay at the gate.
“The public should be asking their State Government representatives what they’re getting back in Geelong and the Bellarine community for the millions of dollars of landfill levy that goes up to Spring St each year.”
Cr Richards said waste management was a “key part” of discussions among councillors, with the issue set to go on the agenda of a May meeting in council chambers .
Geelong Residents and Ratepayers’ Association president Andrew Senia called on council to produce “hard evidence” that the collections were unviable.
Mr Senia said he was unconvinced and called for an independent panel to assess potential solutions and their costs.
“I’ve got the highest respect for Cr Richards but he’s not an accountant,” he said.
Mr Senia said council should discuss the issue “much sooner” than May and present its initial findings “openly”.
“It’s a long time to wait for discussions about such an important community issue,” he said.
Introduction of a hard-rubbish collection service emerged as a major issue for residents during October’s council elections.
Recent illegal dumpings have renewed calls for the service, which City of Greater Geelong has run once since its formation in 1993 municipal amalgamations.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...