Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBail lost amid extra offences

Bail lost amid extra offences

A MAGISTRATE has refused bail to a Leopold man with a $150-a-week ice habit remanded in custody over a string of drugs, firearms and stolen goods offences.
Paul Kingsbury, 25, of Fairvista Ave, appeared without legal representation in the dock at Geelong Magistrates’ Court this week.
A police informant told the court a search this week on Kingsbury’s residence led to his arrest.
Police found goods including power tools and two pee-wee motorcycles believed to be stolen that Kingsbury had “purchased from friends”.
The residence also contained “pieces of firearms” including stocks and barrels as well as two grams of amphetamines and a “smoking implement”.
The court heard that Kingsbury was charged on 24 August and bailed for offences including possessing amphetamines and prohibited weapons.
The day before police had found at Kingsbury’s Fairvista Ave address two rifles with serial numbers ground off, a Holden ute with false South Australian number plates, various chemicals and drug-related items.
“The accused admitted to extracting codeine from Panadol Forte tablets in the garage,” the informant said.
The ute was reported stolen from Colac in April 2012 and Kingsbury claimed to have bought it in May 2012, the court heard.
After evacuating the premises police also found more firearms, a Taser, other weapons and written instructions for extracting codeine from Panadol Forte.
Kingsbury stood in the dock to put forward his submission.
“I have taken into consideration that I have a problem and started to get out of it by running my own business. About a week and a half before this incident I came clean to my family and they are willing to help me,” he said.
Kingsbury had a partner, two children, a mother dying of cancer and a brother who would give him a job at his concreting business until he began operating his own business, he said.
Magistrate Michael Coghlan denied Kingsbury’s request for bail because he had racked up “new offences while on two sets of bail for serious matters”.
“All of that I was told last year,” Mr Coghlan said. “You are at an unacceptable risk of committing further offences. Bail is revoked.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...