Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMPs vow fight to retain wards

MPs vow fight to retain wards

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

THE region’s Labor MPs have vowed to fight any move to redraw Geelong’s council ward system as part of a review of the city’s directly elected mayor model.
Member for Bellarine Lisa Neville said including a debate about ward-versus-regional councillors would be a “distraction”.
“Rolling that in together would be a shame and take attention away from the mayoral model debate,” Ms Neville said.
“The big issue is the mayoral model that has been set up. We’ve already had one mayor resign with an expensive by-election without any change to the model.
“Any debate and review should be about the mayor and deputy mayor models.
“Ratepayers are still confused about whether we have a model that will deliver for the community,” she said.
“You have only to look at the promises candidates are making. We’re a year into council operations, the budget and business plan are set, so the mayor in reality is not able to deliver anything.”
Member for Lara John Eren said the next year’s review should have been brought forward.
“We’ve lost a good man, a genuine bloke who wanted to do things and found he couldn’t. The mayor should have some power.
“Why didn’t State Government put a mechanism into place to prevent it happening again? Now it’s costing ratepayer’s money,” Mr Eren said.
“That $500,000 could have been spent on the community.”
Mr Eren said the failure to amend the model was “unfair on the new mayor” and a “shambles” following the resignation of first directly elected mayor Keith Fagg in August after nine months.
“Clearly there’s a sense of frustration because it’s a token position with no real power.
“Even the deputy mayor has more power because at least they’re elected by their ward.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...