Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPeaceniks decry city’s push for defence jobs

Peaceniks decry city’s push for defence jobs

By NOEL MURPHY

ANTI-WAR activists have slammed Geelong leaders for pursuing a $20 billion army contract instead of opportunities in alternative energy, food and medical research.
Swan Island Peace Group accused Geelong Defence Alliance of pursuing the business of death in its push for the Land 400 project.
Group spokesman Greg Rolles said Geelong’s bid to refashion its economy as traditional manufacturing declined should focus on pursuits that help “people live and thrive rather than killing them”.
“Geelong has lots of qualified people who could be involved in peaceful, sustainable alternatives,” he said.
“I’m aware Geelong is facing hard times and needs to find jobs but in the long run any focus on so-called defence and military research is ultimately unsustainable.
“We should be focussing on alternative energy, medical research, food production, anything that helps people.”
The peace group, which will next week target Queenscliff’s Swan Island defence facility and the role of its trainees in US-led military conflicts, also attacked next February’s Avalon International Airshow as a trade show of death.
“One of the major companies there will be Lockheed Martin, which Australia has pledged $14 billion to for a joint strike fighter that’s a lemon made in the US,” Mr Rolles said.
“The government is asking us to spend $7 every time we go to the doctor. Avalon represents the theft from Australia of social services by companies in the business of death.”
The defence alliance members include Winchester Australia, Committee for Geelong, Avalon Airport and representatives from City Hall, Geelong’s manufacturing council and its tourism board.
Geelong is vying with South Australia to win work building the Land 400 armoured combat vehicle. The world’s largest armoured vehicle project would create hundreds of direct manufacturing jobs for its host city.
Geelong Mayor Darryn Lyons said earlier this year he was committed to securing the project.
“Our city needs this now,” he said.
“We are in a rebuilding stage in Geelong and this is the future for our great city.
“We are prepared to take on this new industry, are capable and have the best location. I want to build and service the Australian Defence Force’s new military vehicle and create jobs for the future.”
Premier Denis Napthine has invited Cr Lyons to attend next week’s Land Forces Expo in Brisbane where he will promote the Geelong campaign.
“I have been advocating the capability of Geelong and pushing for greater Australian content in the delivery of the Land 400 vehicle and I am delighted to accept the Premier’s invitation to the launch of the Victorian State Government strategy on land defence activities,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...