Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCall for investigation into database misuse

Call for investigation into database misuse

By John Van Klaveren
A COUNCILLOR has asked City Hall to seek urgent legal advice on alleged misuse of a Committee for Geelong database in the city’s mayoral election.
Cr Barbara Abley also flagged a notice of motion for council’s next meeting requesting the City resign from Committee for Geelong immediately.
Cr Abley said the database misuse could constitute a breach of the Privacy Act.
Committee for Geelong executive director Peter Dorling gave the database to mayoral candidate Bernadette Uzelac to send invitations for a fundraising dinner.
Cr Abley said the sharing of the information also compromised council’s database.
Her formal request to City chief executive officer Stephen Griffin and all councillors called for an investigation of available remedies.
Cr Abley said the mayoral election process had become “farcical”.
“Nothing surprises me any more. This flurry of (uncovered) activities is only the tip of the iceberg in the lead-up to next month’s local government elections.
“The title of democratically elected mayor must be the most misleading of all statements of this century. Democratic it isn’t.
“It has now become farcical to the point that good candidates won’t want a bar of it.”
Committee for Geelong chair Michael Betts said he regarded the issue as “a very serious breach of the privacy of members”.
Mr Betts said after learning of the breach he immediately sought an undertaking from Ms Uzelac that the information would be destroyed.
“I’ve made it clear that the Committee for Geelong will not be making an error of that type again.”
Mr Betts said he was also seeking legal advice on potential Privacy Act breaches.
“Ultimately, this will be put before the board of the committee because it’s extremely serious.”
Ms Uzelac said she never asked for the list.
“It was offered to me. Most of those contacts I have on my database anyway.” Ms Uzelac said the database had been used for various purposes over the years.
“This is not a unique situation. I was merely following past practice.”
Ms Uzelac confirmed she was a Liberal party member.
“But I’m not backed by the Liberal Party. I’m a true independent in that sense.”
Ms Uzelac said she had a broad network and sent the invitation to “a lot of friends and colleagues”, asking them to forward it onto their own networks.
Liberal party Corio Electorate Conference chair Brian Hunter Evans also sent invitations to the fundraiser, using the party’s database of members.
“I don’t want to comment. I have not received any complaints from members.
“One member queried it but there is no issue on privacy regulations.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...