Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy35% surge in vehicle crime sparks new campaign Thieves go high-tech

35% surge in vehicle crime sparks new campaign Thieves go high-tech

Thieves are targeting high-tech gadgets in an “alarming rise” in thefts from cars around Geelong, according to police.
Favourite targets include GPS units, MP3 players, laptop computers, cameras and mobile phones, police said. However, traditional attractions remained popular, with opportunistic thieves also keen to pounce on sunglasses and loose change.
A 35 per cent surge in thefts from cars in the past 12 months prompted Geelong Police to launch a campaign at the city’s railway station on Wednesday urging motorists to stow their valuables out of sight in locked vehicles.
Motorists complained to the Independent last year about a rash of thefts from cars around the city’s railway stations. Commuters said they often returned from work to find car windows smashed and possessions missing.
Geelong Police Leading Senior Constable Andrew King hoped the Lock It, Remove It, Or Lose It campaign would crack down on the rising scourge.
Overcoming Geelong’s “country town mentality” would be a challenge for the campaign, he said.
Ld Snr Const King said many regional motorists failed to adopt adequate security, thinking their valuables were safe in their cars.
“But figures show they couldn’t be further from the truth,” he said.
“Despite constant reminders, it’s overwhelming to see that people are still leaving valuables on show and that they’re leaving their cars unlocked.
“We need to start getting through to people that they’re not immune from crime.”
The campaign features 50 Lock It, Remove It, Or Lose It signs around train stations and Geelong car parks along with bin decals for problem areas.
“We want to deliver a strong visual message to the community that they’re not invincible to the dangers of vehicle crime and all it takes is less than a minute to hide valuables,” Ld Snr Const King said.
“The inconvenience of being the target of theft – having to get your window fixed or door locks replaces and the stress associated with it – is simply not worth it.”
Ld Snr Const King said Geelong’s southern suburbs of Highton, Belmont and Grovedale were hot-spots for theft from cars.
“There seems to be a train of thought out there that because you park in your driveway you don’t need to lock your vehicle when that’s not the case,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...