Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAuthority a 'dud'

Authority a ‘dud’

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

A state body set up to deliver projects for central Geelong is an “abject failure” that should be disbanded, according to South Barwon MP Andrew Katos.
The Geelong Authority had yet to approve a single project after 10 months of operation, Mr Katos said.
Premier Daniel Andrews had promised the authority would “break the deadlock that has delayed and hindered the major projects that Geelong needs”.
The authority is an advisory committee to Planning Minister Richard Wynne that includes Robert Costa, Janet Dore, Roz Hansen and Jill Smith.
Peter Dorling was its chair but stepped down after the Government appointed him as one of Geelong’s three council administrators.
The establishment of the authority included Mr Wynne assuming responsibility for major planning decisions, streamlining processes and securing “real action for the Geelong community on major projects”.
The authority was “kickstarted” with $500,000 in start-up funds and $3 million to support early on-the-ground works.
But Mr Katos said it was a token board set up to “deceive Geelong residents into thinking the government’s taking action on planning”.
The Andrews government claimed to have established it after losing confidence in Geelong’s council, so the council’s sacking therefore makes the authority redundant, he said.
“Why does the authority even need to exist – to provide advice to the administrators?.
“The members of the Geelong Authority, with all due respect because they are good people, have been dealt a sour lemon in terms of being able to do anything.
“If the minister has the courage of his convictions he should just act. If a major project needs to be sped up he can do it himself.
“He doesn’t need an authority and it should be disbanded.”
Mr Katos said the authority’s inaction had “hamstrung” Geelong’s proposed convention centre, a priority project for the city.
The Geelong Indy reported last week that the proposal was mired in bureaucracy amid confusion over who should lead the project.
Mr Katos said the former coalition government had announced $5 million for a convention centre business case but the Labor Government was sitting on its hands.
“You have Deakin saying they’d entertain having a look at this land but we they have no proposal.
“The State Government needs to fund the business case so they can present something to Deakin.
“I believe it would stack up but let’s do the business case and present it to Deakin and the wider Geelong community.”
The Indy sought a response from State Government but had not received a reply before going to press.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...