Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPortarlington ferry set to run within a year

Portarlington ferry set to run within a year

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

PORTARLINGTON could have its ferry service to Melbourne operating from the middle of next year, according to the town’s safe harbour and ferry group.
President John Rae said a recent $3 million go ahead for upgrade works on Portarlington Pier was a positive sign for the proposed ferry service.
“From talks with Parks Victoria senior management, who are responsible for the work, the project includes provision for piles that would provide the base for floating pontoons for ferry berths.
“In theory, this would allow a ferry service to operate from mid next year while the safe harbour was being built around it.”
The Independent reported earlier this month that a new 175 metre-long, 4.5 metre-wide pier would be built alongside the existing pier. State Government has sought tenders to build the pier.
Mr Rae said the group would make the safe harbour and ferry service into an election issue.
“There’s been no indication of further funding pledge for the safe harbour and ferry from State Government but that may occur during the election.
“We’re hoping for further announcements in the campaign, matching the ALP pledge of $15 million for stage one.
“It will be a huge election issue and the current government has a bit to catch up on.”
Mr Rae said the group would initiate another round of public meetings on the issue as well as letterbox drops to voters.
“We’ll become involved in campaigning at the beginning of August. We have already held 120 public meetings presenting the ferry and harbour case to various groups.
“We’ll go back to each one and prepare material pointing out the score between the parties.”
Mr Rae said the “vital” project would offer a 45-minute trip to Port Melbourne where it would connect with a 12-minute light rail ride to central Melbourne.
The group understood that the Government was examining exemptions for ferries to a Yarra River speed limit, allowing them to dock at Docklands, he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...