Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMacdonald's secret deputy mayor bid fails as Labor turns on its own

Macdonald’s secret deputy mayor bid fails as Labor turns on its own

By NOEL MURPHY

A SECRET last-minute bid by Rod Macdonald for Geelong’s deputy mayor job was spoiled by the council’s Labor bloc in favour of the Liberal Party’s Michelle Heagney.

An extraordinary Labor-Liberal alliance pressured Cr Macdonald, a Labor member himself, to withdraw his planned nomination – which he almost certainly would have won — just hours before the council vote.

The pressure is suggested to be in response to Labor fears that high-profile mayor Darryn Lyons might run for the federal seat of Corio in future. Cr Heagney, who has voted with the anti-Lyons bloc in recent months, is viewed as a potent spoiler for the nominally Liberal mayor.

Council insiders told an Independent investigation Cr Macdonald was primed by the council’s conservative bloc when it became apparent the contest between Cr Heagney and former mayor Bruce Harwood would not go its way.

Cr Macdonald canvassed support from the Liberal bloc of the council and, confident of its support, agreed to stand.

He emailed other councillors announcing his intention of standing for deputy mayor.

With Cr Harwood expected to withdraw from the contest, the 7:6 outcome expected to go Cr Heagney’s way would have been in Cr Macdonald’s favour.

Within just hours, however, and under pressure from the left bloc, he withdrew from the contest.

Cr Macdonald has been reluctant to speak on the issue, refusing to be drawn on political influences or  implications.

“It’s gone and done. I spoke to a number people, we had discussions, went through what’s happening, and I decided not to stand,” he said.

“It’s all history, all the could have, would have, should have … no, it was my decision.”

Cr Heagney would not be drawn on the issue or her alliance with Labor councillors such as recent South Barwon candidate Andy Richards. She said Cr Macdonald’s email was his “and his right to talk about”.

She believed she could work with Cr Lyons as his deputy but said “like any relationship, it takes both parties to work together”.

Cr Richards told the Independent he spoke with Cr Macdonald on his deputy mayor plans but would not elaborate further.

Cr Harwood said he would not comment.

“In all my time on council I haven’t made formal comment on these issues,” he said.

Cr Lyons could not be contacted for comment.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...