Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyStart it or you’ll go blind, pilot program tells city

Start it or you’ll go blind, pilot program tells city

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

A high risk of blindness in Geelong has prompted a pilot eye test program in the city.
Geelong is one of four areas across Victoria targeted for the Vision Initiative after a survey found that 42 per cent of respondents who noticed changed vision failed to obtain eye tests.
The Victorian Population Health Survey also found that more than 44 per cent of Geelong region adults reported changed vision.
Twenty-one per cent had never had an eye test and almost a quarter of respondents aged over 35 failed to have regular eye examinations.
Victorian Health Minister David Davis said the pilot program aimed to deliver a coordinated approach at a local level to reduce avoidable vision loss and blindness.
“The pilots will integrate into existing health systems and deliver training to GPs, pharmacists and practice nurses to improve identification of people at risk of eye disease and encourage them to have regular eye tests with an appropriate eye-health professional.
“What we learn from these pilots will inform a larger state-wide roll out in coming years.”
Optometrist Rowan Prendergast said the risk factors in Geelong were preventable.
Mr Prendergast said the highest risk group for avoidable vision loss included anyone aged over 40, smokers, diabetics, people with a family history of eye disease and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
“Eye tests are covered by Medicare and bulk billed, so there’s nothing to fear,” Mr Prendergast said.
“People should realise that eye tests are part of their general health considerations.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...