Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyABCs to stay open

ABCs to stay open

Alex de Vos
HUNDREDS of families can breathe a sigh of relief after receivers for ABC Learning Centres announced the three Geelong child care centres facing closure would remain open.
This week’s announcement follows months of uncertainty over the future of ABC centres and guarantees employment for 1800 child care workers across the country.
Court-appointed receiver Stephen Parbery said on Wednesday the recovery firm had found buyers for the majority of the 241 centres under their control, including the branches at Leopold, Newcomb and Waurn Ponds.
NutureOne will take over Newcomb, Sewells Childrens Services has bought Leopold and Learning and Education Australia will assume ownership at Waurn Ponds.
“This is an excellent outcome, particularly as all of these centres were assessed by the ABC receiver McGrathNicol as not being viable under the ABC Learning Business Model,” Mr Parbery said.
A McGrathNicol spokesperson told the Independent the region’s eight remaining ABC centres had “bright future”.
The spokesperson said the centres at Drysdale, Geelong, Lara, East Geelong, Torquay, Newtown and Grovedale would stay open and operate “under a new, restructured ABC group”.
“These centres continue to trade well and we remain confident they have a bright future,” the spokesperson said.
“No sale process is under way and our focus is on re-investing in the centres, purchasing new toys and equipment and giving centre directors a more active role.”
Before the announcement, Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard pledged Government help for the parents of children to secure alternative childcare facilities.
The Government helped parents of children at 55 centres closed in December find services for their kids.
At its peak, ABC Learning ran more than 1000 child care centres.
ABC Learning Centres, the nation’s largest child care provider, went into receivership earlier this month with debts of more than $1 billion.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Community calendar

More News

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...