Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPremier ‘shield’ for MPs

Premier ‘shield’ for MPs

By Luke Voogt

The Andrews Government is “shielding” two Geelong MPs from investigations of alleged election rorts, an Opposition MP has claimed.
Lara MP John Eren and Bellarine counterpart Lisa Neville were among a number of Labor MPs who Opposition Leader Matthew Guy last month accused of misusing taxpayers’ money.
Mr Guy said Labor signed up casual employees through electoral offices but instead directed them to work in its Community Action Network during the 2014 election campaign.
Member for Western Victoria Simon Ramsay said Mr Eren and Ms Neville would have committed a “gross misuse of taxpayer money“ if the allegations were proven, using state staff for party purposes.
Mr Ramsay accused the government of blocking Ombudsman Debra Glass’s investigation.
The government’s latest tactic, an appeal to the High Court, was a third attempt to prevent exposure of the Labor “rorting”, he said.
“The Andrews Government has tried every trick in the book. Why would the Andrews Government spend millions of dollars … to prevent the Ombudsman from investigating alleged rorting of the system?
“My hope is that the High Court will throw out the Andrews Government’s appeal, like the Supreme Court did, and justice will prevail on these serious allegations.”
Ms Neville said the government had done nothing wrong.
She accused Mr Ramsey of spreading “misinformation“.
“As the government has said on multiple occasions, no rules have been broken,” Ms Neville said.
“All of my staff over 14 years … have tirelessly worked to serve the communities of Geelong and Bellarine.”
Mr Eren declined to comment while the matter was before the courts.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...