Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAlcoa-Ford deal aluminium deal sidestepping Geelong

Alcoa-Ford deal aluminium deal sidestepping Geelong

By NOEL MURPHY

ALCOA and Ford have struck a ground-breaking deal to make aluminium cars in the US while the companies’ Geelong plants face imminent closure.
Ford has unveiled a new all-aluminium F-150, the world’s top-selling truck, at the Detroit Auto Show. The vehicle is more than 300kg lighter than its previous steel design and aimed squarely at enhanced fuel efficiency.
Alcoa, in the meantime, is spending up $US575 million to expand production plants in Iowa and Tennessee to meet demand under long-term auto contracts.
US media reports also point to Alcoa’s competitor, Novelis, commissioning two new automotive sheet lines in New York and China.
“We’re about to see aluminium make that step into mass market vehicles,” Alcoa’s Randall Scheps, was reported saying by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
“This is the tip of the iceberg. We can certainly say that every year is going to be big for aluminium for the foreseeable future.”
The Wall Street Journal reported this week that Ford planned to eventually cut the weight of all its new vehicle platforms by about 100 to 300kg.
“No-one could be more delighted about Ford’s bold conversion than Alcoa,” the WSJ reported.
In Geelong, the prospects for Alcoa and Ford appear markedly different, with Alcoa widely tipped to close its Point Henry plant, sacking hundreds and cutting almost a quarter billion dollars from the regional economy.
Ford is set to close manufacturing operations at its North Geelong plant in 2016, reflecting a serious decline in Australian car-making operations with Toyota and Holden plant closures.
Alcoa’s fortunes have been slugged by a high Australian dollar, increased overseas competition and poor aluminium prices.
A $40 million bailout by the Federal Government last year ensured Point Henry’s survival until mid-2014 but widespread reports in the past week have said Alcoa is no longer pursuing any further government assistance, while a review due for release at the end of March is expected to recommend closure.
“The US expansions do not have any ramifications for Alcoa in Australia – they are different markets,” Alcoa spokesperson Nichola Holgate said.
“We are not going to speculate about Point Henry.”
Ford did not respond to a request for comment.
Meanwhile, the EPA told the Independent that the closure of any EPA licensed site was “determined in the closing stages of a company’s operations at a site, that they remain vigilant in addressing and managing their risk to the environment”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...