Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyFootpaths fracas: Shire in ‘win’ on hearing

Footpaths fracas: Shire in ‘win’ on hearing

By Cherie Donnellan
COUNCIL and residents will resume their fight over proposed charges for Jan Juc footpaths at the state’s planning tribunal next week.
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal will run a second hearing on the charge scheme after council successfully appealed the tribunal’s initial decision at Supreme Court of Victoria last year.
The tribunal had ruled against the “unreasonable” charge for providing “no special benefit” to residents.
Sixty-seven objectors have spent three years fighting council’s bid to charge them for the “unwanted” footpaths.
Supreme Court judge Emilios Kyrou referred the matter back to VCAT for October but objectors’ lawyer Glenys Dolphin said council had secretly appealed for an earlier hearing.
Ms Dolphin said VCAT and the shire failed to consult the objectors’ legal team on the new hearing date within a reasonable timeframe.
Ms Dolphin said she did not receive a letter about the change until late May.
Objector Sue O’Shanassy provided the Independent with a March 21-dated letter from Surf Coast Shire chief executive Mark Davies questioning VCAT on the “ongoing delay”.
Mr Davies’ letter told VCAT the three-year span of hearings was “a source of frustration for council and the community, (which) adds to the scheme project cost and delays much needed pathways”.
“The review hearing at VCAT is currently expected to be listed for October 2012, which is almost a year after the Supreme Court ruling,” the letter said.
Ms Dolphin said the opposing legal teams agreed to the new June 15 hearing date a few weeks ago.
Surf Coast Shire councillors controversially voted to change council’s special charges scheme policy at a council meeting on May 23.
Ms O’Shanassy said the change would make objecting to special charges easier but would not apply retrospectively to the Jan Juc project.
She asked councillors at the May 23 meeting to withdraw the Jan Juc charge “and afford the residents…the same considerations as those involved in future special charge schemes.”
Ms O’Shanassy said council could still “quash” the Jan Juc scheme regardless of the VCAT hearing.
The shire refuses to answer questions from the Independent.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

More News

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...