Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeEntertainmentChairs are safe now says rock icon

Chairs are safe now says rock icon

By Luke Voogt

A founding father of Australian rock will come to Geelong next weekend during his 60th anniversary tour.
After decades playing for sold-out crowds Lonnie Lee is still not slowing down.
“If anything I’m much more alive on stage,” the 77-year-old said.
“I used to be a shy sort of a dude. As the years have gone I’ve sort of lost that.”
Lee is celebrating the birth of his career in 1957 when he won a radio competition to find “Australia’s Elvis” when he was just 16 years old.
“Hardly anybody knew Elvis at that time,” he said.
“There was no top 40 and rock and roll was still relatively new.
“To be statistically correct its 61 years,” he added.
“I started on an amateur competition on (a Sydney radio station) and came second in 1956.”
Lee grew up in the New South Wales town of Rowena to the sounds of his mum and dad’s piano and American country music.
He taught himself the ukulele at 13 and a few years later he moved onto guitar.
The birth of rock and roll would see him rise to fame.
“That was when the arrow shot me through the heart and I thought ‘that’s the music that I love’.”
Lee still remembers his first Geelong concert in 1959 with fellow icon Johnny O’Keefe on the last day of Australia’s first rock tour.
“When the rock movement began in the US the kids went ape!” he said.
“That’s exactly what we experienced as well.”
The final gig would become infamous for O’Keefe’s dramatic “swan dive” at the end of the day.
“We were close friends,” Lee said.
“He said to me ‘Lonnie if you see me fall down on stage don’t worry about it’.”
The press lapped it up reporting O’Keefe “rocked so hard at Geelong last night he rolled over and collapsed”.
“And that’s, of course, what he wanted,” Lee said.
“That’s what everyone was doing those days.”
Lee played for 60,000 in Australia’s first open air rock and roll concert.
“That was a monstrous affair,” he said.
“But it’s also really nice to have the intimate things where you can see their eyes and they can see yours.”
Lee said his last Geelong performance in 2006 at the RSL was “stacked to the rafters”.
“I do close to 50 songs. It’s bang, bang, bang – I don’t just lure people in there to bore them to death with talking.”
Lee does an annual gig during Seniors’ Week in the north NSW town of Maitland where the local council banned him in the late ’50s after his crowd broke chairs in the town hall.
He said when pensioners normally “stooped over their walkers” sing “their faces out” he would “see all these young people again”.
But he added that his Maitland fans’ chair-breaking days were well behind them.
Lonnie Lee will be playing at the Geelong Performing Arts Centre on Saturday 25 February at 8pm.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...