Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCrush victim faces compo ordeal

Crush victim faces compo ordeal

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

A FORMER toolmaker whose hand was crushed in a workplace accident says the WorkCover system should change, ahead of the authority relocating to Geelong.
East Geelong’s Gary Jolly was recently awarded $120,000 after a protracted battle with Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA).
“The system doesn’t work,” Mr Jolly said.
“At least they should negotiate instead of just refusing to listen to people who have workplace accidents.”
Both main political parties have promised to relocate the VWA to Geelong to join the TAC in a “centre of excellence” for injury prevention and rehabilitation.
Mr Jolly was carrying out maintenance on a press machine at IXL Metal Castings in November 2008 when a 70kg metal die suddenly dropped due to a faulty safety bolt, crushing his right hand and fracturing three fingers.
“It saddens me that I was forced to go to trial to fight for compensation six years after my accident,” Mr Jolly said.
“All along I didn’t think I had done anything wrong. The allegation that I’d contributed to the accident because I was negligent was hurtful.
“I spent three days on the witness stand defending myself. They put surveillance on me all the time, at home and whenever I went out.
“But knowing you’re right makes you determined. It was massive pressure because they’re trying to trip you up – it’s character assassination.”
Slater and Gordon WorkCover lawyer Danny Connor said the case should never have gone to court.
“Mr Jolly was a hard-working employee with nearly 50 years’ experience as a toolmaker. He was very safety conscious,” Mr Connor said.
“The lawyers acting for the employer refused to negotiate a reasonable settlement forcing Mr Jolly to run his case at court.”
Mr Connor said the VWA offered no compensation initially and could later have settled for around $30,000 but refused that counter offer.
“The jury heard evidence that his former employee was negligent because it failed to comply with an occupational health and safety policy requiring a secondary safety system be installed on the machine. If it had, the accident would not have occurred.”
Mr Jolly said he would have been unable to fight the case without legal support but advised others in similar situations to battle the system.
“Tell the truth and be determined,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...